In Moira’s absence I have the task of writing this month’s newsletter.
Since our last meeting we attended the Jubilee Group meeting in Sutton Courtenay. Unfortunately we weren’t inspired by the speaker but were pleased that our raffle made the group £40.
The Centenary challenge to walk 100 miles can be an individual or a group challenge. Did you notice in last month’s News and Views that several members from Stoke Row WI had completed 100 miles in the first 3 months! Makes you lose heart doesn’t it? We MUST get moving and keep fit. Swimming counts too and cycling. It’s time we went on a group cycle out to lunch again. Interested?
For the Membership Centenary Challenge there are a number of tips in News and Views this month. How welcoming and friendly are we? Do we encourage neighbours and friends to attend meetings? Do members always sit in the same seat? I think we need to try harder – don’t you? We have two new members. Have you talked to them?
A date for my diary in this month’s News &Views is Monday 28 October 7.15- 9.30 at Oxford Town Hall to hear Dame Stella Rimington speak. Who would have thought a woman would become Director General of MI5? How things have changes since we were leaving school.
Please also note the dates of a few impending events which I hope you will support.
- Our speaker on Tuesday is Ian Paxton – the chilli man? Sounds intriguing.
- Jenny’s walk to Blenheim on Monday 17 June. Meet at Gloucester Green at 11 am. (I hope someone is recording the mileage each month.)
- Northcourt Open Day Sunday 7 July 2-4.30. Please support this to help keep our centre going and keep the rent low! I have the raffle books ready for you to take home onTuesday. £5 for a book of 5. See how many you can sell.
- The Summer Garden Party at Moira’s on Thursday 18 July at 2- 4.30pm.
- Tuesday 30 July the Jubilee Group’s 100 years Celebration at Steventon. Val will give us details.
- Tuesday 13 August our Summer Outing to Broughton Castle. We must have a minimum of 20. The cost is £10 for guided tour + £5 transport.
- Watermill Theatre Newbury to see Kiss Me Kate on Thursday 12 September. £20 plus transport £5. Only 3 tickets left. (£20 cheque made payable to me – Vivian Lowe)
One more request – We need volunteers to help with refreshments each month. Please see me – or Viv Cadge to bag a month.
Hope to see you all on Tuesday. Have a good weekend, in spite of the windy weather.