October 2019 meeting report
Meeting of Abingdon Fitzharrys WI 8 October 2019
Moira welcomed everyone and thanked Marian for the flowers, which were to be given to Jill H. She said how delighted she was that our team, which took part in the Centenary Art & Craft Competition, was placed third and their display was on show for us to see during the evening. Members of the team, led by Jenny, were Ann – glasses case, Edna – flower arrangement and small gold box, Mary and Marian – a hand painted card and Marian – a black and white photo. Jenny was presented with a WI mug as a sign of our gratitude for keeping the team motivated with a generous supply of cake during their planning meetings.
Apologies were received from Brenda, Jill H, Marian, Jill W, Hilary B, Diane and Hazel.
Moira congratulated our member Viv C on making the headlines in this month’s WI Life. She came to the meeting prepared and explained to us how it all came about that her blood donor doggie quite unexpectedly had a whole page in October’s edition of WI Life describing how she became a dog blood donor. If your dog is over 25k and under 8 years s/he can become a donor and save the lives of many other much-loved pets.
There was a brief, if not slightly confused discussion of the affordability of an annual bursary for a course at Denman College, but it was decided to include this as a subject for further discussion after the committee has researched costs and affordability.
Anne reminded everyone she required their £20 cheques for the Christmas meal and menu choices should be made during the evening.
The November meeting will be a Christmas Craft evening and Moira said there were to be 4 activities for members to try led by Trine, Diane, Viv L and Anne.
- Walking group – meet at Christ Church, Northcourt Road on Monday 14 October. Car drivers needed to take walkers to Blewbury. Lunch at Savages.
- Craft Group – meet at Brenda’s on Friday 1 November at 2pm for paper folding.
- Art Group – Monday 14 October at 10 am – 3 hour workshop to be led by artist Elizabeth Baldin on Landscapes in Acrylics. If anyone is eager to join us for the workshop please contact Viv L. We can accommodate about 3 more – cost per head £10. Please be ready to start the session at 10 am.
- Caribbean and the Windrush Generation Day at Benson Village Hall on Wednesday 27 November 10am – 3.30pm – £20 includes coffee and lunch.
- If you are thinking of making someone special a scarf for Christmas then the Home and Garden Craft Competition Is what you’re looking for on page 9 of News&Views.
- Christmas Celebration – with mince pies and mulled wine – on Tuesday 10 December at 7.30pm. I ask for your support in the planning and presentation of an evening of song and readings about Christmas. I have booked a musician who hopes to borrow a portable key board. To date I have the following volunteers – Julia, Loran, Val, Moira, Tricia, Sheila, Diane, Denise, Jenny, Hilary K. Please email me if you would like to join us, either Performing, Catering, Decorating the hall or Washing up afterwards. (Email your name followed by one or more of the jobs – P C D or W)
There followed an hour of pot painting – a very pleasant way to pass the time. I look forward to seeing the various designs on display at the next meeting. We certainly have some talented members.
After the tea and coffee break and the drawing of the raffle, Anita was invited to read her collection of written comments members made to the questionnaire she gave you at the September meeting. They were amusing, insightful and varied and we thoroughly enjoyed hearing them. She also told us we have walked over 800 miles so far this year and encouraged the walkers to strive for the thousand. Thank you, Anita, for all your contributions to the meetings.
Finally, I am delighted to tell you that we welcome three new members. They are Jeanette, Claire and Margaret (who will join next month. She couldn’t be with us last night and sent her apologies). That will take us up to 49 members.
The meeting closed at 9.30pm.
Christmas Celebration Update.
I have received emails from more helpers / readers to add to my list which now includes
Julia (P), Loran (P C), Val, Moira (C D tables), Tricia, Sheila, Diane (D hall)) Denise, Jenny, Hilary (P), Maria (C P) Viv C (C P W), Trine (D tables).
I will email you all soon with a date for a planning meeting. In the meantime get on with the research for readings, poems, music – all ideas welcome….